Racing Victoria (RV) has today announced a new A$5 million Weight for Age mile race to be run during the 2019 Autumn Carnival.
The All-Star Mile will be one of the richest mile race in the world and the public will get a chance to decide the field via public ballot.
To be run during the Autumn Carnival, the first edition of the race will be at Flemington on March 16, 2019.
Of the 14 spots up for grabs in the field, 10 will be decided by public vote with the remaining four 'wildcards' at the discretion of RV.
Voters will go in the running to win the opportunity to become a nominal owner of a horse in the race and share in the huge prize purse.
Superstar mare Winx will be highly sought after for the inaugural running of the race with the mid-March date potentially fitting in well with her Sydney Autumn plans.
RV CEO Giles Thompson said the race will rotate annually between the three major metropolitan clubs which will see the race held at Flemington, The Valley and Caulfield.
Thompson stated, “The core of the race will be the same year in, year out, but the experience will be totally different because the clubs will bring what they bring.
The fans just want to get involved and this enables them to get involved.”
“Our autumn racing schedule is pretty impressive with Super Saturday … but we felt it could do with an injection of newness and innovation,” he said.
“This really does that; it will create a lot of interest and be the real feature event of the carnival. The two states are very different and bring different things to the racing calendar.
“This is something they couldn’t do in Sydney because they don’t have three different metro clubs for starters. Similarly, you could argue, could we do something like the Everest down in Melbourne? But it’s not about that, it’s about us bringing our own things to the racing schedule,” said Thompson.
How does The All Star Mile work?
- Owners/trainers are invited to nominate their horse for The All-Star Mile by early January 2019;
- Fans are then invited to vote online for the horse they want to see contest The All-Star Mile from among the list of nominations. Voting will close late February 2019;
- The 10 highest vote-getters will be selected to contest The All-Star Mile;
- Four wildcards will be determined by 5 March 2019 to complete the field of 14 All-Stars;
- The final field will be confirmed and the barrier draw conducted by 12 March 2019. -racing.com